Friday, September 15, 2017

Book Review: Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

Book Review: Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker


by Kathleen Lisson, CMT, CLT


I was looking for an accessible deep dive on the importance of sleep in my life and this book is it. Packed with easily understood research, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams gave me solid reasons to make changes in my life to ensure I get eight hours of sleep each and every night. Some of the research will hit home to students and parents of young children - sleep is critical for learning and our school and college cultures don't make it easy to prioritize sleep.

We need to look deeper than health articles on the internet and have access to real, solid science when making decisions about our health. Before this book sleeping was a 'should' for me, now it is a must. I highly recommend Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams for those who need a compelling collection of evidence in order to change their behavior. It certainly changed my mind.



More about author Matthew Walker in 'Meet the scientist who dreams of fixing your sleep' published in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/09/14/meet-the-scientist-who-dreams-of-fixing-your-sleep/?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.7769c129885b

and watch him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...