Thursday, June 15, 2017

How to Do Self- Massage for Constipation

Abdominal Massage for Constipation 


 by Kathleen Lisson, CMT, CLT


Constipation can make our tummy bloated and is a common problem after surgery. I recently met Michelle Lyons, an Irish physiotherapist, at the Klose Lymphedema Conference. She recommended several ways to improve digestion in her conference presentation and I will share some of her wisdom with you.

Her first tip is how to get your digestion started off on the right foot every morning. You will love this. She recommends a self-massage of the abdominal area to encourage that first poop of the day (see the diagram) and insists that we have our significant other or family member/friend get us a hot beverage to sip on while we are still in bed. Many people swear by coffee, but I prefer tea and am happy to report that my lovely husband does bring me Indian milk tea most every morning!  


If you want to make your own Essential Oil blend for your abdominal massage, here’s my home recipe:

6 drops of sweet marjoram essential oil
6 drops of rosemary essential oil
2 drops of black pepper essential oil
15 ml of coconut oil

Directions: mix well and store in a bottle in your night table.

Here's a video of how to perform abdominal massage for constipation from Naprapathic practitioner Lorn Allison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...