Saturday, May 20, 2017

Best Tips and a Shopping List for Recovering after Surgery in San Diego

Best Tips and a Shopping List for Recovering after Surgery in San Diego

by Kathleen Lisson



I gave a short presentation at the San Diego Library’s How-To Festival 2017. 

 I introduced myself and shared that I am a surgery veteran, with ‘emergency’ surgery at 18, dental surgery in my early thirties, complicated reconstructive surgery at 37 and Moh’s cancer surgery at 42 with only local anesthetic under my belt. 

The Visualization Part

I shared a little about what Peggy Huddleston’s Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster with Relaxation and Quick Start CD: A Guide of Mind-Body Techniques is about, including the questions: 

  • How do you want to feel in your hospital room? 
  • How do you want to feel when you are recovering well? 
  • How do you want to feel when you are fully recovered? 


We can separate pre-surgery worries into two types - is it a concern your doctor can answer or is it a fear? If it is a fear, Huddleston advises to turn your attention to your fully recovered end result for 30 seconds to a minute. 

Huddleston’s book focuses on how to use relationships to improve healing, relationships with loved ones, friends, and your doctor and anesthesiologist. 

Your Shopping List

I also shared some tips on what to have in the house or hotel to help you recover from surgery. My list for post-surgery bag (if you’re staying in a hotel) includes what you would normally pack, plus: 

Your favorite Lavender essential oil, rose essential oil, orange/lemon essential oil, geranium essential oil or frankincense essential oil and a diffuser like the URPOWER 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier with 4 Timer Settings, 7 LED Color Changing Lamps and Waterless Auto Shut-off

Laxative like Senna Plus Natural Vegetable Laxative with Stool Softener - 100 Tablets

Maxi pads 

Pee pads like the AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads, Regular - 50-Count

Baby wipes 

Slip on shoes (I brought my slippers to show)

Foot stool like the Folding Step Stool - 11" Wide - The Lightweight Step Stool is Sturdy Enough to Support Adults and Safe Enough for Kids. Opens Easy with One Flip. Great for Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Kids or Adults.

First aid kit and bandages like the ones your surgeon will use.

Large hand mirror like the Goody Hand Mirror 27847 (Pack of 1), 11 Inch

Plastic mattress cover like Vinyl Mattress Cover Protector (Queen)

A great tip - you can use your ironing board as an extra table when you can’t bend down!

I also reminded everyone to make sure their refrigerator is stocked with easy to prepare, easy to eat foods. 

I shared that a recent tummy tuck client introduced me to Amazon Fresh grocery delivery service. 

I shared my horror story after my facial reconstructive surgery and showed everyone a great resource, Dr. Buford’s Plastic Surgery nutrition book Eat, Drink, Heal: The Art and Science of Surgical Nutrition

1 comment:

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...