Monday, January 30, 2017

Should You Take Probiotics after Plastic Surgery?

How to Recover from Cosmetic Surgery -

Should You Take Probiotics after Plastic Surgery?


Recover from Plastic Surgery Tips

by Kathleen Lisson, CMT, CLT


I have been eating yogurt with live active cultures for years, but the first time I had a doctor recommend probiotics to me was here in San Diego for my recent trip to India. I digested the spicy foreign food much better than I had during previous trips to visit my in-laws (my husband is from India) so I was excited to find out whether probiotics could be useful in recovering from plastic or cosmetic surgery procedures like facelifts or tummy tucks.  


I had heard the common sense explanation that ‘antibiotics destroy intenstinal bacteria and probiotics help repopulate your gut flora,’ but surprisingly, it was hard for me to find solid scientific evidence for adding probiotics to a post-surgery diet. I found one study that is targeted to trauma nurses taking care of patients in the hospital.  


In the January 2017 Journal of Trauma Nursing article ‘Probiotics for Trauma Patients: Should We Be Taking a Precautionary Approach?’ Heather A. Vitko provides a balanced overview of the use of probiotics in hospitals. Research has found that probiotics decreases rates of infection and antibiotic-associated diarrhea, but Vitko cautions that probiotics are only regulated as supplements. According to Vitko, the most common probiotics used in research are Lactobacillus and Saccharomyces boulardii.




If you have seen medical evidence for using probiotics after plastic surgery, please let me know in the comments!


As a Board Certified massage therapist, with advanced training in Manual Lymphatic Drainage, I help women and men in the San Diego area reduce the tight, full, heavy feeling that comes with swelling after facelifts, tummy tucks, liposuction and other plastic surgery operations. To schedule a treatment, please visit http://www.solacesandiego.com

1 comment:

  1. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
    เสริมคางที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...