Sunday, August 7, 2016

How I Stay Fit - One San Diego Runner's Story

What does running REALLY do for you?


By Kathleen Lisson


San Diego Runner's Secret to Lifetime Fitness

From the outside, I look like a success story. I have been the same dress size for 25 years. I wear out two pairs of running shoes per year. I have raised thousands of dollars for charity through my long distance running.

What do I look like from the inside? Running and meditation are the top two ways I deal with strong emotions. If I feel cooped up, I run. If I feel emotional, I run. If I have a big decision to make, I need to 'run it out' in my heart during a long, slow run. Being injured has shown me (the hard way) that running is the key to my inner balance, so I protect my ability to run four ways.

My top secret to keeping fit is focusing on my overall wellness, not just the number on the scale or the fitness watch. I make my wellness a priority by:


  • Nourishing my body. I eat smart by following Brian Wansink’s tips for preventing mindless eating. I serve meals from salad sized plates for natural portion control and leave only fruit and healthful snacks on the kitchen counter. If I feel sick and bloated, I won't want to run.


  • Keeping track of my heart rate. If my morning pulse starts rising and I feel cranky and tired, I may be overtraining. I stop overtraining in its tracks by booking a relaxing massage and shortening my workouts for the next few days.


  • Recruiting a team to help me stay fit and healthy. I meditate with a group once a week, train for half marathons with Team in Training, get a massage at least once a month, have a weekly ‘date night’ with my husband and see my doctor and dermatologist for regular checkups. I know I can face and overcome any obstacles I confront if I have my team behind me.


  • Having a Plan B. I have faced many obstacles over the years, including running injuries, a sprained ankle, relationship breakups, long hours at work and a skin cancer diagnosis. I was able to bounce back because I had a Plan B - a list of alternatives for my preferred exercise routine. In fact, switching up my normal routine is sometimes just the change I needed to prevent workout boredom.

What does running REALLY mean to you and how do you preserve your ability to run?

Kathleen Lisson is a RRCA Running Coach, certified Meditation Teacher and Labyrinth Facilitator and teaches Meditation and Mindfulness at IPSB college in San Diego. Sign up for a private meditation lesson or labyrinth walk in the comfort of your home here: https://www.massagebook.com/San_Diego~Massage~sandiego?src=external

2 comments:

  1. OOH I love the salad sized plate tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We switched to salad plates and haven't felt deprived. They fit better in the cupboard and the dishwasher, too.

      Delete

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...